Covid-19 Safe Practices & Policies
Welcome to Stanford Inn & Resort! Please help us help you. We appreciate that you have chosen our Inn for your getaway and want it to be a joyous and worry-free vacation.
Below you will find a list of our practices to best protect you, our guest, as well as our staff during this time of Covid-19. We are also including a list of policies that we request of each of our guests to ensure the health and safety of all who frequent our inn. Thank you for your understanding and participation as we work together to stay healthy and enjoy life during a particularly difficult time.
We also ask you to help our County’s efforts to keep visitors and residents free of the disease by…
- having a mask with you whenever you are outside your room or vehicle and wearing it whenever indoors with other people and when outside when other people are around.
- practicing social distancing of at least 6 feet, paying special attention when walking on narrow sidewalks and paths, passing through doorways, and using stairways.
- attending to requests to minimize occupancy in stores, restaurants, and other places open to the public.
- frequently washing or sanitizing your hands especially when handling carts, doors, and other frequently touched surfaces
- staying home if you feel sick, have flu-like symptoms such as cough, fever, or trouble breathing. We will make your prepayments available to use for another stay, if you have to cancel.
Thank you and our best wishes for your health wherever you are.
~ Joan & Jeff Stanford
- Each of our employees has received training in extensive cleaning procedures, to include the frequent sanitizing of all common touch areas such as counters, doors, floors, lamps, light switches, tables, chairs, and couches, for example.
- We practice frequent cleaning of all common touch surfaces.
- Each of our employees wears a mask and, where needed, gloves.
- At all times, we practice social distancing, maintaining a minimum of 6-feet distance from all others. We encourage greater distance indoors and insist on wearing masks, except when dining.
- During check in you will receive sanitized room key cards and any special instructions to maximize your comfort and safety during your stay with us. Check-in will be by email, and information normally provided at check-in will be provided in an email with check-in instructions and will be available to guests on “guest pages” on our web site.
- Check-out is by express check-out.
- To provide “touchless service” we ask for your acceptance of our policies for checking-in. These are simple. With your acknowledgement, we will use the credit card with which you reserved a room as the method of payment for rooms, food and all other service and products purchased here. And we will provide express check-out.
GUEST ROOM PRACTICES
- Each of our rooms are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized prior to guest arrival. All surfaces, furniture, linens and amenities are sanitized.
- Once your room is cleaned and prepared for you, no one enters the room prior to your arrival.
- You will be given a set of masks, antibacterial hand sanitizer and disposable gloves, if needed.
- We will not enter your room during your stay. You can call requesting amenities, breakfast, etc., and we will deliver to your room. Rather than albums and papers menus for services, including breakfast, menus will be on line. High Speed WiFi is complementary for guests.
- Each room is equipped with a coffee maker, teas and drinking cups.
- We provide complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast each morning as part of your stay. Breakfast will be served to your room in to-go containers. To avoid issues with cash and contact, your acceptance of our policies includes accepting that we charge your credit card with a 20% service charge for the value of your complimentary breakfasts. This amount will be given to your server for distribution to serving staff. To protect you, our cooks and servers must wear masks, gloves, and other protective equipment.
- To-go containers allow us to serve freshly prepared food from our ovens and ranges with minimal exposure. Please note that we are adjusting our recipes to assure that the containerized dishes travel well.
- Daily menus will be available on-line, ordering will be by phone.
- We ask all guests to practice social distancing during check in, while enjoying our property, at breakfast and when interacting with other guests as well as our staff.
- To assure your safety we ask that you have a mask when not in your accommodations. If you enter any public spaces, such as the lobby, please wear a mask that covers your face from chin to and including your nose.
- Although we have created paths of travel to assure social distancing, wearing a mask is essential if social distancing might be breached.
- If before your trip to Mendocino you find you are feeling unwell, we request that you notify us by phone so that we can reschedule your stay with us.
- If, while you are at the inn, you become unwell, we request that you notify us and make arrangements to be tested. We strongly suggest you seek help at Mendocino Coast District Hospital.
- As a pet-friendly property, we ask that you maintain social distancing with others’ pets. Please do not touch or pet other guests’ pets. They are hard to sanitize.
The following are Covid-19 Prevention and Hygiene Protocols specific to the Stanford Inn by the Sea – Resort. These are further mitigations for this specific property beyond requirements and protocols by the CDC, California State and Mendocino County Protocols.
Indication of Illness
- Employees – Are required to self-assess before coming into work – and not coming if they have a cough or fever or live in a household where any of the residents exhibit or complain of such symptoms.
- When employees do come to work, supervisors will take their temperature with a distance thermometer.
- Guests – When reserving guests will be asked to self-assess before arriving at the Inn. If they assess themselves to be sick, changes of their reservation will be accepted without penalty.
Signage and Movement
- General Signage – We are providing signage regarding social distancing, our requirement that masks are worn in the presence of other guests and/or Inn Staff, and web site address to provide details of procedures to assure safety and social distance.
- Hand sanitizing dispensers provided at all common entrances, including reception, entrance to the restaurant, workout facilities, Catch A Canoe & Bicycles, too, pool, etc.
- Use of Common Facilities – Please note, until further notice, guest use of common facilities will be by appointment which they can make from phone, on line, or by email with the concierge. To reduce the possibility of contact, appointments and reservations cannot be made in person.
- Waiting – In situations where guests or staff wait for services or directions, provide clear marking on the ground at 6+’ foot intervals. Signage should include reminders to always wear masks
- Paths of travel for exterior corridors, outside pathways and stairways established throughout the property and buildings to assure social distancing. They are marked with arrows, yield signs to help maintain social distance, and instructional signs.
- Instruction signs and maps – Provide instructions regarding path of travel that are unidirectional and well-marked with arrows and explanations. Property map will be available on line as well on the property.
- Movement in and around Lobby and Ravens Building For Reception and the Lobby, Guests will enter by the front doors and depart from the exit door at the Bar. Movement will be one way. To assure social distance, furnishings will be removed that reduce width of passageways.
- Doors to common areas – Unless weather dictates otherwise, lobby and other entrance doors for guests staff will be left open in order that guests and staff will not need to touch them.
- Parking facilities – We will not be operating all our rooms at one time due to cleaning protocol. Therefore, we will place a cone to block every other parking spot to assure distance between guests’ vehicles. Staff are required to park along Comptche-Ukiah Road or Big River Road.
- Guest Relations will be facilitated by internet and smart phones; We provide highspeed WiFi and password will be provided with check-in procedures sent to guests before arriving. In this way, if there is no service for their smart phone, they will have service, even in the Inn’s parking lot.)
- Check-in will be by email and arriving guests will be handed sanitized keys which will be placed in envelopes, also sanitized.
- Check-out – All Check-outs will be express checkouts.
- Bell Person Service: Guests requesting assistance with luggage will be assisted by an employee with gloves, mask, and lab coat. Employee is to use sanitizing wipes to clean handles and other parts of luggage they have touched. We will have informed guests, that if they tip, to please call or tell the bell person the amount and we will add it to their folio.
- Information – replacement of printed materials: All communication with guests previously provided on paper and in our guest manual will be provided on-line. Guests will be sent an email that will provide urls to those pages which will include: menus and ordering instructions; newsletter articles concerning classes and programs which we may be able offer; the content of the Inn’s newsletter; description of the property and recreational opportunities.
Sanitizing Products and Procedures for Guests
- Safety Amenities – We will provide amenity bags for each arriving guest that will be placed in guest rooms the day of cleaning. Bags will include Coronavirus awareness information, hand sanitizer, mask, and gloves. Each room will be provided surface sanitizer.
- Information for Guests – All in-room printed materials and decorative “touch” items such as pillows will be removed. Glassware and ceramic cups will be replaced by compostable cups and utensils.
- There will be no Housekeeping services during a stay, unless requested. If requested, only one staff will enter the room and will follow the protocol established for room refreshing.
See Specific Housekeeping Procedures there are significant changes to procedures.
General Information to be shared with guests regarding their accommodations
- After checkout, rooms will be taken out of service for approximately 24 hours at which time they will be opened, atomized with sanitizer, cleaned and sanitized (see Housekeeping Procedures).
- After cleaning and restocking, the room will be sprayed with disinfectant and it is not to be entered except by reserved guests who will be occupying the room.
- Note to guests that Rooms heating/air conditioning systems are individual.
General Housekeeping Procedures information that will be provided to guests on Guest Pages on website:
- Each Housekeeper will have their own vacuum, caddy with cleaning and sanitizing supplies.
- All bed coverings are to be removed, placed in laundry bags (that have been dried at high temperature). All towels are to be placed in laundry bags for towels only and taken to laundry. Clean sheet sets, will be wrapped and brought to the room and installed. Staff wear masks, fresh gloves and fresh work coats (lab coats).
- Housekeepers follow guides providing check-off boxes assuring high-touch items including television remote controls, toilet seats and handles, door locks and levers, furniture/drawer pulls, water faucet handles, nightstands, hangers, laminated emergency signage, telephones, drapery wands, light switches, temperature control panels, alarm clocks, luggage racks, microwaves, Keurig maker and supplies refrigerators (inside and outside) etc. and flooring. Check-off materials will be room specific, because of rooms’ individual natures, (laminated and reusable).
- All bed linen and laundry are washed and dried at high temperature and in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- After sanitizing, room will not be entered earlier than approximately 24 or more hours.
If we are able to open the pool, use will be by appointment/request. Between guests, all surfaces will be sanitized. (To facilitate efficiency, we will be removing “excess” furniture and closing one of the restrooms.)
Breakfast for overnight guests is complimentary. Menus will be on line. When possible we will be serving beverages that have been prepackaged, for example, bottled juices. Breakfast will be ordered by phone or email/message. Food will be prepared and immediately placed in compostable packaging, sealed and taken to guest’s rooms. Our staff will place the trays on the rails in front of rooms and stand away to provide proper social distancing.
The dining room will not be open unless permitted by the State and County. If opened, we will assure minimum seating distance generally approximately 10’, from other dining parties. When not eating, wearing masks is required. Guests should know that all surfaces in kitchen and dining room are cleaned frequently, per schedule with chlorine, staff are required to wear masks and gloves. The menu has been changed to minimize food handling.
Dinner service (at additional cost) will be available for take-out, and in the dining room, if permitted by the State and County. Dishes are to be ordered remotely, by phone, email, messaging. Food will be delivered to rooms as per Breakfast. Alcohol and wine available for diners over 21 and will be delivered to you room.
Recreational Activities (if permitted by Health Authorities)
Guided hikes/runs will be available to individual(s), groups who share a room/household to maintain the need for social distancing between the hike leader and the group, couple, individual.
Mountain Biking – Reservations will be required to assure proper social distancing. Bikes and helmets will be sanitized before providing to guest. However, we recommend that those wishing to use or rent bikes bring their own helmets. Face or surgical masks are required to rent a bike and are to be warn when on inn property and inn driveways and roads.
Canoeing – Reservations required to assure proper social distancing. Paddles and life jackets will be sanitized as will gunnels, seats and other high-touch parts of watercraft. Please note. Check-in for canoeing will be in the upper parking lot, above Catch A Canoe beach and dock. Masks are required. Paddlers will be launched one at a time, Only paddlers sharing a single canoe will be allowed on the dock at a time. Other paddlers will wait in the upper parking lot until staff is free to send them off. Specific details will be provided by phone, on our website, and/or signage.
Yoga – Private yoga sessions only for individual(s), groups who share a room/household, to maintain social distance. Face masks required. Our instructors will not touch participants and classes will be in gentle yoga where demonstrations are effective teaching methods.
Classes – Indoor classes will be limited to presentations to single parties, households due to social distancing. There are no demonstration classes.
Outdoor Classes Yoga classes will be held outdoors. Please call to or check our website to find times and programs.
General Social Distancing and Hygiene Protocol
We follow CDC recommendation. Employees will be specifically trained in these procedures.